MORRISTOWN, NJ, June 7, 2012 –Schindler Elevator Corporation, one of the leading global manufacturers of elevators, escalators and moving walks, is proud to announce that BOMA-NJ has awarded the company the 2012 Alternate Energy First Place Award for its solar installation project completed at its North American headquarters building in 2011. Bill Rafferty, manager, Building Services, Schindler, accepted the award at a ceremony held at The Newark Club on May 23rd.
The 250kw solar system, comprised of 1,236 photovoltaic solar panels, produces 310,000 kwh of electricity per year. Each panel generates 230 watts of renewable energy, and provides approximately 11 percent of the building’s total annual power consumption, enough to power more than 90 houses for one month. Since its installation, the system has offset the generation of close to 600,000 pounds of CO2, the equivalent of taking a family sedan off the road for almost two million miles.
Other sustainable building improvements included:
- All 475 single-pane windows in the building were replaced with energy-efficient, insulating dual-pane windows featuring low-E coatings that help control heat transfer and significantly reduce the strain on the heating and cooling systems.
- Most internal and external lighting, including parking lot and roadway lighting was fitted with energy-efficient T5 and LED light fixtures running on day-light sensors.
- Fifteen thousand square feet of carpeting was replaced with “cradle-to-cradle” carpet tiles that are essentially waste-free. Old tiles can be recycled piece-by-piece as they age and turned back into the raw material used to make new carpets, reducing the waste that ends up in landfills.
- New ceilings were made with “cradle-to-cradle” recycled content.
- The building was equipped with new mobility solutions. The Schindler 9300® AE escalator with ECOLINE generates energy savings of up to 20 percent per year. The building also features a newly launched Schindler 3300 machine room- less elevator that is up to 60 percent more efficient than a hydraulic elevator with eco-friendly features such as an energy-saving gearless motor to avoid power loss, frequency converter with standby power mode and LED lights.
- Dual flush, metered plumbing fixtures are utilized in the newly renovated restrooms to reduce water consumption and a cafeteria renovation including new ozone-friendly refrigerator models that are free of CFC (chlorofluorocarbon) gases.
“Sustainability has always been a driving force behind everything we do for our customers,” says Michael Landis, vice president, marketing at Schindler North America. “As building owners ourselves, we understand that in order to adopt a truly sustainable approach, we need to show our commitment to that sustainable vision right here in our own facilities.”
About Building Owners and Managers Association of New Jersey (BOMA-NJ)
A professional real estate organization with a network of over 450 local real estate professionals, BOMA New Jersey is an affiliate of BOMA International – the oldest and largest association of the office building industry with 92 federated Associations in the United States and around the world. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., BOMA International expands the local network to more than18,000 real estate professionals responsible for the management of over 9 billion square feet of office space in North America.
About Schindler Elevator Corporation
Schindler Elevator Corporation is the North American operation of the Switzerland-based Schindler Group, a leading global mobility provider with approximately 43,000 employees operating in more than 100 countries. Schindler supports sustainable urban development with safe, reliable and ecologically sound mobility solutions and its equipment moves one billion people every day all over the world. In 2011, Schindler was named one of Forbes Magazine’s 100 Most Innovative Companies, and two of the company’s products received the 2011 Architectural Products’ Product Innovation Award.